Tuesday, November 8, 2011

British Words: Think Twice



Here are a lists of words that make me stop and think twice, as they are different from the American pronunciation. I will attempt to suspend judgement (in the glorious phrase of Abby Farson Pratt).

1. ' in hospital': not 'in the hospital'. Just hospital.'I was running in hospital to the psych ward because a patient had escaped.'
2. the adding of '-age' to words: slippage, spillage. 'There's a spillage in aisle 12.'
3. slippy. Not slippERy. 'The steps were rather slippy this morning so be careful.'
5. '-t' endings, as opposed to '-ed' endings, ie. learnt, learned. : 'I burnt my finger.'
6. the pronunciation of the alphabet to little ones. 'A' is not pronounced 'ey' its 'aaah'. B is not 'bee' but 'buh'
7. 'maths', plural, as opposed to 'math'. 'I'm doing long division for my maths homework.'
8. Lego, not legos. 'I going to play with lego now.'
9. The terms 'spring break' and 'fall break' don't exist. 'How was your fall break?' Cold stare. 'DID you mean "October holiday?" '
10. chips = crisps. fries = chips.
11. jelly = jello. jam = jelly. 'Yeah I made lime jelly for pudding tonight.'
12. tea= dinner, not the drink with jam and bread. 'I'm making steak pie for tea tonight.'

No comments: