Sunday, February 1, 2009


Yesterday, I went to a traditional Burns Supper with an address to a haggis in addition to neeps and tatties (parsnips and potatos), all very nice. Anna's dog is a collie mix and as I sat petting Collen, I thought of my old Amelia and I missed her very much. It reminded me of Chaucer's The Book of the Duchess, where the knight finally snaps out of his dream world and tells the author plainly, "She is but dead." Removing layers, until reaching the nature. I found myself more aware of Collen, better able to love on him, and enjoy his company more for it. I guess it works the same way with human relationships: losing someone helps a body to love better.

2 comments:

abby said...

The Spitler's put Libby down today.

I went home last weekend and for the first time sense I left for school in August I didn't expect Amelia to come out from under the porch wagging her tail. It was awful, but good. I love you.

Anonymous said...

Every time I came over to your house over winter break, I would look for Amelia to meet me at my car and walk me to the door.

P.S. How was haggis?

love,
a.