Friday, February 6, 2009

Durham, England

Ah, just writing the title of "Durham, England," rather than Durham, NC I find quite difficult.

I went to Durham on my first Saturday to visit a Castle now inhabited by Durham University. Students eat at the old high table the Bishop princes use to eat at, practice on the organ in a chapel centuries old, and sleep in old prisoners quarters! The Castle began in 1072 directly after William I conquest in 1066.

Across the green from the Castle, stands the Cathedral where, much to my great surprise the venerable Bede lies along with St. Oswald. Bede wrote accounts of history in Old English, including a long passage on St. Oswald I had to translate last year for my Old English Grammar Seminar. I had no idea either happened to rest there, which just show the Lord knew and delighted the desires of my heart just because he wanted to.

Today, I went into New College (founded in 18th c.) to the Divinity Library to study. When I sat down, I noticed a book by Duke University Press, and opened it to find the printing information in Durham, NC. I know, I know, I'm supposed to bleed Carolina blue (I do!) and constantly shout "Go to hell Duke!" but at that moment, I was so happy to meet an enemy, a rival in a foreign land for despite the tender relationship, I knew this place, I knew this school, and coming across something I know, I have known, and will know again soon, brought me much joy for here all is still so unfamiliar and wild.

No comments: