Saturday, February 14, 2009

Hill Walking





A crew from Holy Rood Abbey went to trek the Pentland Hills today. First, we walked through snow-sludge, then the grown began to freeze and we walked on ice, and frozen dirt and mud, which gave way to snow. It was easiest to walk on the heather and moss. We followed a rock wall, round the hills, up through snow and heather. Occasionally we saw sheep on the crests of hills. As the path steepened, we began to walk through snow, and round the side of the hill, the pass grew very icy and narrow. This led us straight down to the foot of the hill where we turned and walked back through fields of farms.

Anna brought her dog coolen again and we h
ad a great time playing fetch. Its funny because my moment of epiphany last Saturday in the library looked out upon just these hills.

A year ago today, I was in the car with mom and Ms. Eunie, driving back home from school where I was too sick to function on my own. So much has happened in just one year. My recurrent thought is the goodness of the Lord. I
don't have to be here. He brought me here because he wanted to. Walking through these hills, I saw this: though creation still bears its curse, in it the Lord still reflects his beauty. I know that I am loved, dimly I see it, like these hills on the horizon.


The narrow pass. The hills covered by cloud.

Coolen testing the ice.

This wall proved rather unsteady for it was not cemented together and was covered in lichen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Snattles,

Scotland suits you.

I still wish I was going to live with the eco-hippies for two weeks, but instead I'm going to Italy to study architecture as part of the cultural and geographic landscape.

Love,
a.