Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Signs That I'm Coping

Signs That I'm Coping (as the Scots would say):

1. A drunk lady came up to a group of us and asked if there were an Scottish people amongst us, and there were for I was the only non-Scot. However, the lady wanted to know where the "Royal Oak" pub was and none of them knew, but as it happened to be just outside my close, I was able to direct her. Hah.
2. I love haggis. It has a lot of pepper in it, and looks a lot like ground beef, and doesn't taste much different. Its so nice. Parsnips mashed are a bright orange color, and tatties are the same as mashed potatoes.
3. I love the weather. It is incredible volatile. One morning, I sat at my desk working, and from 8-11 the weather changed from cloudy, to snowy, to sleeting, to rain, to bright blue, to clouds, to snow again. I love how the wind whips around my face, and most of the time I go out without a hat or gloves just to feel the wind. This is so surprising considering at home, I disliked the winter immensely
4. I love the sound of Scots. I get v. upset when someone goes from speaking in a more Scottish voice to a lesser one. I get so excited whenever I run across an Old English word still in common day use.
5. I went in with a friend to buy a guitar yesterday, and one of the first things I taught myself to play were Scottish folk songs: Wild Mountain Thyme and Loch Lomond. I think before anyone comes to Scotland, one ought to listen to folk songs to understand the culture.
6. I love Holy Rood Abbey. I love the Christians here. People are so friendly and generous and so happy to be there, which has often been the opposite of my experience. I also find people mean what they say, instead of being nicely polite.
7. I find I am entirely happy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello my dear. So, you've finally found a church you don't hate? Miss you lots. Sanna