Friday, January 30, 2009

A portion of a letter to Mema and Grandaddy

January 30, 2009

I like it here in Scotland very much. The country side here is quite different than Georgia. The rolling hills are everywhere (they call the bigger hills Munros) and I can see a beautiful crag from my window. The earth here is very dark, almost black, and usually quite moist because it rains nearly daily. Many of the streets here are old cobblestone-- the sort of streets in pockets of Savannah. There is a castle quite close to where I stay. One time, the Scotts had to starve the English out...

I have found a goodly church here, titled Holy Rood Abbey (but 'Holy' is pronounced "Holly"). .. One of the best parts is "tea and biscuits" after the service. Tea is hot tea with milk and their "biscuit" is actually shortbread and cookies. During tea last Saturday I met three siblings who happened to be from a neighboring Isle to Jura. The confirmed that Buie was quite a Scottish name from those parts. This new was much to my relief for here in Edinburgh I had not come across the name of Buie yet.

1 comment:

JAM said...

I am sure Mema will like that... you should see if you can find any mitchells or shaws ... I think the Shaws are Welsh.