Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Things I Find

Things I find similiar to UNC:
- still have students handing out flyers and graffiti buildings to get you to stop the war in Gaza. Not that I condone Israel, but how is a protest supposed to help?
-really liberal feminists. My first day of class discussion concluded that apart from sexual organs, the only real difference between men and women was learnt (notices the -t ending!) behavior.
-when going out to parties or the club, people still take cameras out and post up their pictures the next day

Things I find similar to Singapore:
- one must moderate one's shopping because one has to CARRY everything home.
-the city moves vertical rather than horizontal: buildings don't sprawl, but have 2 or 3 stories instead.
-pronounce 'H' as "haych" which even though British and "correct", still sounds completely idiotic.
-Bash US politics more than their own. Today in the inauguration they booed when president Bush entered and even threw a "We survived Bush" party. For once, I don't think the British are allowed to be included in the royal we.
-The Presbyterian church here Holy Rood Abbey is set up nearly identical to ORPC, from the arrangement of seats , the style of the ceilings to tea afterwards

Completely Different:
-serve warm drinks in real, glass mugs rather than paper cups
-The shops look tiny on the outside, but going in expand up and are really quite large. Rather like a cave.
-So old and beautiful.
-Craggy. Unpredictable and wild. It actually gets colder as the day waxes.
-They call me "Yank." Thems fightin words.
-In Edinburgh, one must explain things ending with "right," "okay," or "eh." So you go to the end of the street, right. And then you take a left, right. And then after the stoplight, right, you uh look for the pub "the royal oak" right.
-I have to turn the tap about 30 times in order for it to turn on
-Tip less, though they are less attentive
-Not graded on class participation, but on "essays" (papers) and "papers" (exams).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your background and format, by the by. My one request is that you take lots of artsy photos and save them so that I can copy them to a CD when you get back. We need something on the wall in our living room and I want photos for my dorm/apt. next year. P.S. It takes, like, 18 hours for me to post one comment.