Monday, February 13, 2012

#3: Francis Chan, Crazy Love

# 3, Crazy Love, Francis Chan.

This book emphasized in contemporary language everything I learned in Bonhoeffer. Basically, to love God, really love God, he's not kidding when he says give stuff away to the poor. As an evangelical, he took everything straight from the Scriptures, and challenged the American church in its wealth and complacency. But it wasn't a book that destroyed the church. Our lives are to be characterized by obedience. I came away, not harassed, but with a strong sense of "I need to be doing something", and wishing that I had loads more resources free to give things away. When I grow up, I want two things. I want an old stone farm with lots of animals, and I want to make enough to give most of my proceeds away. But, I don't want to be delusioned with the 'I'll do it later' mentality, so it's got me to thinking what I can do now. And I'm just not sure.

No comments: