Saturday, February 25, 2012

Ashe Wednesday

Durham Cathedral (click for source)


My Ashe Wednesday involved a trip down to Durham, and unfortunately became truncated by all the small meetings I had, and could not attend the proper service. Instead, in a small break, I sat in the back pew in Durham Cathedral and listened to the Evensong practice, while reading through the Ashe Wednesday Service in the Book of Common Prayer.


"Who dost bid thy faithful people cleanse their hearts, and prepare with joy for the Paschal feast; that, fervent in prayer and in works of mercy, and renewed by thy Word and Sacraments, they may come to the fulness of grace which thou hast prepared for those who love thee. " (p.264)

I enjoy the season of lent, a preparing for Easter, despite its season of abstinence. During this period, I've decided to refrain from buying indulgences. This refers solely to what I do not essentially need: books, clothes, chocolates, fancy coffees, the list continues. In addition to this, I hope to incorporate the Book of Common Prayer. In attempts past, I've found its structure confusing, but as I mouthed the prayers of Ashe Wednesday, I found such elegance and humility, it must needs another consideration.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So, not buying indulgences to pay your way out of purgatory, then?