Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Thoughts on Teachings and Readings

Wall painting in a Roman villa in either the Etruscan or Palantine Museum, Rome. From my travels in 2009.

I recently emailed, by far, my favorite professor at UNC for some advice on teaching and his response is one of the best emails I have ever read.  I have been rather apathetic lately, towards my readings, towards other academic work.  This in a way was a hounding call, the "Yes, yes! That's why I wanted to do this in the first place" rousing me from my stupor and eagerly attacking my work. I'm half-tempted to let you peek at the entire email here, it so thrilled me to my core. On the other hand, I almost don't want to share it as it's so special and I want it to be savored. To compromise, here is a glimpse at some of his suggestions.

- In your class at least one person is your superior. Never over-simplify or dismiss what someone says, but listen attentively.
- Stick close to the human element in discussions,  especially in philosophy. 
- Assume that the text has something valuable to teach you.  Do not dismiss it and say, "Well that's what the Greek or Romans did," but seek to understand why they have chosen to relay this information to you. Usually this is on more that one level.
- Give the author the benefit of the doubt. Do not say assume that you know more than the author with "well that was a thousand years ago and now we know better." These texts say something important about the human condition.  Seek to understand what that is and why it is important.

Attached was a glorious reading list.  Wonderful texts, haunting texts, that a hundred or even fifty years ago, established a core curriculum to any University diploma.  It makes my heart ache that they are so often not read. It made me want to read all of them.

There are few moments when one's heart simply bursts out of the rib cage with wonder. Fran, seeing my excitement, surveyed the reading list, and said, "Let's read them. One a fortnight." Usually I find it rather inappropriate to gush about one's boyfriend on one's blog, but perhaps this moment calls for an exception-- Ya'll, what a man! Francis thinks we should start a book club, but I'm far too shy and embarrassed. What do you think?

Also, what do you think makes a good teacher? How should one approach one's students? The texts? What advice can you give a budding tutor? Can't tell you enough how much I'm going to need it!

No comments: