Thursday, August 23, 2012

Favorite Things

The sun slinks lower earlier now and I unconsciously wish for the Scottish latitude to possess those few extra moments of dalyight.  We head on a walk with the dog, the misquitos now only murmuring and the bats flit overhead, while the dog gallops off to the center of the common to patrol the day's visitors.  Fran asks what I want to do that evening and I tell him. With a wry smile he says, what, are we like a couple from the 1940s or something.  I contemplated this, and activities I find so lovely are so often sacrificed to the easy, the accessible, in an attempt to lasso the hurdling locomotive of the day's end, to the tv and the frozen pizza, in order to rest.  I thought on things I liked to do and don't, out of fear, or vanity, or all-consuming time. So while idealistic and perhaps not embraced as often as willed, like the moments of summer's sunshine, furtively abundant and never blazing, this list of favorite things is a small aspiration to something better.

Favorite Things:

- live music
- being able to walk places
- a good phrase of poetry
- making things with my hands
- books that makes me cry
- watching a fire
- gardens in bloom
- a glimpse of mountains after a bend in the road
- bubble baths
- seeing familiar faces
- piping cups of tea
- wild fields
- homegrown vegetables
- lawn games
- mocassins
- dogs and rabbits and hedgehogs
- family recipes
- aching muscles after a long day
- waking up and realizing I have nothing to do today

---
What are some of your favorite things??

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I believe you meant to say "piping hot" cups of tea, and not just piping. That sounds like something from an Enid Blyton fairy story.