Monday, August 8, 2011

Guilty Pleasures

Lamb. Its so embarrassing. Growing up, I never had lamb, but since coming to Edinburgh I've been introduced to this meat at Sunday lunches. The awful thing is, I now crave lamb. I know I should only eat mutton-- but they don't sell it in stores here. You have to pre-order it and spend hundreds of pounds getting it delivered. But thats not the worst thing. The worst thing is I believe its wrong to kill a baby animal before its full-grown and had a happy life, and I still eat it. In every sense of the word, a guilty pleasure. I can't wait for the day when I can order mutton from these guys: These lambs lead basically a wildlife on the Isle of Harris (Scotland) for two years and only then are they killed. Fran has this idea to start a meat company called 'well-loved'. Organic and fairtrade isn't enough. This is beef, sheep, pork, chicken that has lead a good, happy life-- been treated well and fed appropriately with loads of space to run about.

Others on the guilty pleasures list:
- lamb: by far and away the worst one I possess
- red meat: but not red meat, like raw meat. you say medium-rare, I say hold the medium. blood is specifically associated with life and worse than that, its just bad for you: Gen 9: 4-6 and why its bad
-sparking water: this one is just annoying because I have to carry it up 4 flights of stairs and I order about 10 2-liter bottles at a time. Its completely unnecessary. I should just drink plain water..
- cheap beer: I wish I had standards
- Lady Gaga. Not as bad as it was, but definitely still there
- the royal family: esp. Kate Middleton. [hides face in shame]
- to catalogue (and sometimes buy) dresses I can't afford. Like this one: J Crew
- or maybe just clothes in general: H&M.
-or maybe not. maybe its just the ridiculously fun: cowboy tepee
-James Franco in Tristan and Isolt
- well, James Franco in most things. Like Your Highness
- the Harry Potter movies. The movies are tremendously bad-- they were only made for fans. The books are another story, but the movies, definitely, yes. Definitely a guilty pleasure.

How bad are your guilty pleasures? I will differentiate between pleasures and habits. My bad habits are an entirely different list!

No comments: