Thursday, August 4, 2011

Felix's Felicis


Dear world, this is Felix.



A tender moment.

The Kingdom of Felix.

Felix is a 3-month old sooty fawn lion head rabbit. The main question is, why? Why did you get another bunny? The short answer: a fit of madness.

The long answer: Indy can no longer be an indoor rabbit and we have to move her outside to a hutch. At first I worried, but the more I thought about it, the better I reasoned it would be. Not only will she get to be outdoors (and weren't all bunnies made for that?), but she can dig in the straw and have a bit more room to run. Indy being indoors had human companionship for the most part, so I couldn't bear the thought of her going outside in a hutch all by herself for ever. So the best solution was to get her a companion as pretty much everyone recommends that bunnies should live with other bunnies. And the best pairing is neutered male and female relationships as same-sex tend to get aggressive. Fair enough, but this meant neutering Indy. I'd been thinking about it anyway, because it prevents cancer and lessens moodswings, but I didn't like the reality of it at all.

For a while, Fran has compared me to Indy. Indy is sweet and loveable, but tricky: you have to read her really well and sense when she doesn't want to be touched or if she's in a grumpy mood and would rather be left alone. On the other hand, she'll dash about the room and jump into your lap and nose your face and just make you feel like the world is a good place. Its kind of like the poem:
'There was a little girl, who had a little curl
right in the middle of her forehead.
And when she was good, she was very very good,
but when she was bad, she was horrid.'
My family has quoted this at me for years, and I'll admit unashamedly its true for me and Indy. (Especially if it involves no food and little sleep!)

If I'm like Indy, then Felix is just like Fran. This bunny is so laid-back! He's easy going and friendly, curious, but easy to please, adventurous and fearless, and generally just adorable. (You can take this analogy as far as you dare...) Felix means 'happy' and like Indy, is also the name of (a British navy) ship. I've only had him for 24 hours so I can't really tell loads about him, but I'm pleased and think that once Indy recovers from her operation, they'll be a perfect pairing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ha. What great analogies. Love you lots.