Thursday, August 4, 2011

Bunny Woes

I've done it. I've gone and sent little Indy to the surgery and had her spaded. It was an emotional morning. I was praying that morning for some people and realized I was more worried about Indy's surgery than I was about who I was praying for! Awful moment of self-realization. [working on these flaws.] I knew the surgery should be just fine, but still. The pain after it would be awful to see. The doctor was excellent and I felt really confident in her ability and overall I liked the vet clinic. We did see a German shepherd who was gorgeous and so friendly to humans, but went absolutely mental when he saw another dog. It made me think of AFP.

When we got back to see Indy just shuddering, it was terrible. She could barely limp into her cage, but wouldn't let me touch her. She just lay in a corner and stared at me from a drug-induced state. At first she wouldn't eat, but finally lettuce held sway, and its the only thing she's eaten in the last 24 hours. Even today I glimpsed her shaved underbelly and shuddered. Its hard to see something you love in so much pain, even if you know it's good for them. But its worse knowing that I caused it. I've been reading through Isaiah and it seems that there could be a spiritual metaphor there, but will spare the explicit analogy. If I'm this upset over a bunny, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to have kids.

1 comment:

Abby said...

Poor Indy. But you did the right thing! Many, many more people need to spay their pets. (A lesson I relearn every time I'm at the shelter... We have bunnies there, too.)

Re: GSD. I have heard that German shepherds can be quite reactive toward other dogs. I know it's not always the case, but it is something to be aware of.

Felix is a great name, P.S. I love it.