Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Centre Parcs and Newcastle




I've been spending lots of my time lately in Newcastle.  Not exactly exploring, but an occasional wander.

 
Working lots at the Lit & Phil. Really love it there. So atmospheric.

This is us stopped in a little village of Tewksbury for lunch. Such a lovely medieval town. 
I'm learning to drive on British roads these days. It's a much different animal to the wide and straight roads of the States.  Fran's family had planned a trip down to Centre Parcs, and we drove, allowing me to have ample practice.
At Centre Parcs we seemed to see and do everything.  Here is mini-golf, themed just to suit my tastes.

Fran's cousin pulling the sword for the stone.

We went biking in the rain. I don't think I'd been on a bike in about ten years!

Several games of pictionary. Can you spot Fran's drawing of Spiderman and Nightmare?

We even got to stop in Southampton and see the dog.

Here is Indy and Felix, having a little rest from foiled attempts to breach the fence.

And this is me, studying for my motor theory exam in the Newcastle train station.

This past weekend we did indeed trek down to Centre Parcs to see Fran's family.  It was good to see them all again. Centre Parcs I found was more of a conquering of fears, such as riding a bike, or dislikes, such as swimming in public pools, though I did thoroughly enjoy being active the entire weekend. I've been trying to get back into the habit of doing a photo-a-day and though not terrible successful, find that it's a lovely way to remember.  I have indeed been learning to drive, and studying more diligently than I ever did at UNC, to pass my theory exam. Who knew that the incentive to finally get me to study was the humiliation of having to pay £36 again?  And now, we're off again, tomorrow, to the States! Very excited to see my family, and of course, my neurotic dog (we haven't seen either since our engagement) and then there's food. I may have been dreaming about fried chicken last night. xo

3 comments:

Alexis said...

Dear Natalie,

First, a precursory hello! We've never met, my name is Alexis, and I hope this is not unduly creepy, but I have been in the process of researching grad schools, along with Corinne Saunders, and your name and this blog consistently came up. I understand you're probably very busy, but I would LOVE it if I could talk to you sometime in the future about what your experience has been like at Durham (it seems magical!) [My email should attach, but I'm not sure ... I'm awful with technology, probably why I am in English]
Happy summer to you

Natalie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natalie said...

Hi Alexis, it would be lovely to talk grad school and Corinne Saunders with you. Too funny that it comes up on a google search! I'm rather hopeless at technology and can't quite seem to find your email, but you're welcome to write me at n.j.moore [at] durham.ac.uk -- or you can find it on the department website. I do hope this finds you! x