Monday, July 22, 2013

A weekend and thoughts on home



Fran's parents & grandmother were here this weekend.  We had a lovely time strolling around the countryside, swimming in the hotel pool, and eating lots of fabulous food. They even went rowing and were good enough to come along to see the Lindisfarne Gospels exhibit in Durham.  This weekend also boasted a beautiful bridal shower for a sweet friend.  We drank tea, played games, gave toasts, unwrapped gifts, and ate and ate and ate. It was perfect.  Weddings are lots of fun.

In other news, I've been made the social secretary of my college, which is good fun. That takes up some time now too.  I've also been thinking lots about being a TCK, and growing up in a culture not your own.  In the recent past, I've tended to not embrace this, to downplay it, to think, well it was important, but it was only a little while and you're American now.  But the longer I'm over in England, the more sense of distance I feel from America.  This makes me very sad, but it also reawakens the same feelings I had growing up in Singapore.  A sense of distance and removal, a sense of searching, a sense of wondering about home, and homeland. Some things never really go away. I think this might be one of them.

Fran often says I look forward to things too much and don't take enough time to savor what is happening now or what has already happened. Perhaps that's another token-TCK indicator.  Even as I write this, I'm thinking about my PhD to-do list, my before-I-leave-to-go-to-the-States  list, and more excitingly, what-I'm-going-to-do-when-I'm-home list.  I'm so excited! I can't wait! I'll get to see my family! And eat food! And make about 5,000 wedding decisions in the space of ten days. I've been planning my meals for about three weeks now.  Can you guess what's at the top of my list? Right here.  But before I get too carried away, here's to being grateful for our daily bread, and the space in between.  Love.


No comments: