Thursday, October 18, 2012

lifeindurhamsofar

a sampling of dresses


I have come back from Iona in a bit of a whirlwind. We got all our my things out of storage and I opened them to find them rather wet.  I thought they needed a good airing and were only slightly musty smelling. I skyped mom and showed her bed of strewn clothes and she kindly told me it was mildew.  Feel really smart for not being able to put two and two together myself. [Face palm] So for the past few days I have washed about 18 loads of clothes to get mildew out of them. 

I also came back from Iona with a nasty cold, and did something a bit different. I tried herbal remedies.  And you know what? It works. I feel like me mema, chopping up a clove of garlic and swallowing it in honey, and despite the fact it's outright disgusting, feel a little proud of myself.

A part from that, Fran started his new job this week, which is great.  He uses a mapping program to place wind farms.  He's good, too.  It's just bizarre as it's real adult life, which I've not encountered yet. [The life of a perpetual student.] He has two days of holiday between now and Christmas.  I'm planning my flight home around his office Christmas party.  I think that's the threshold to adult hood: office Christmas parties.

I've been busy writing up reports, emailing my new students (whom I will see next week!), and attending lectures.  I haven't attended lectures in what feels like ages, and it's comfortable and uncomfortable at the same time.  I began French today and my professor is so lovely. It's so much easier than Mandarin. [Highschool Natalie: what were you doing spending 7 years learning something you'll never speak well?!]  I've also attended poetry readings on T.S. Eliot, met the writer in residence at St. Chads, eaten at the closest thing to Mexican I can find, sought out my tutorial room (rabbit warren to find it!), and met other English PhDs.

I've also been sussing this 9-5 routine. Think I like it, but will let you know once I finally put all my laundry away and beast this cold. Happy Thursday! xo




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are having a good time.