Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Iona

The Mull busride

The ferry to Iona

a stone

the abbey and cross

the abbey with mull across the sea

the boats

a rainbow

a climb to Dun I

a looming sky

a pilgrimage

a trip to St Columba's Bay

a distant view of the paps of Jura

a hazy self-portrait

an unabashed sheep

a post-card quality chicken-on-tub

some cow lovin'

lighting the tapers in the abbey for service

a cheeky trip to the pub

the abbey

the cloister

the cathedral cat

the abandoned nunnery

Iona was gorgeous.  We had a stretch of lovely weather-- 4 unblemished days.  And then 2 of incessant rain, but it's the glorious ones that stay in memory.  Each day we woke up, had breakfast, went to Morning Service, did chores-- clean bathrooms and showers, headed to Bible Study sessions, had tea and coffee, prepared, served, and cleaned lunch, walks in the afternoon, dinner, Evening Service, and final activity.  We spent time in the common room reading papers or building fires.  We went on long walks around the island and its numerous sandy or pebbly beaches.  We went on a pilgrimage to St Columba's bay.  I made candles.  I wrote and read and prayed and listened and sang. I volunteered and lit candles, run church bells, and directed seating.  I danced at a ceilidh.

I met lovely people.  Many of them were retired.  Many were from America. Many were lovely and it felt like home.  A few were even from Durham and happened to be in my college and reside in my very own common room there.  The world is a very tiny place.  I can't say it was spiritual ground-breaking, but it did cause me to consider and suspend judgement. My favorite service was the one of healing. The food was wonderful.  Three meals a day, all hot and prepared by someone else, to dine in the terms of fellowship.

There are no monks or nuns there now.  Just people who want to live a religious life as a part of the Iona Community.  They love social justice, equality, and peace.  Their faith is active and outward, rather than deeply introspective.  But it is one that is ready to make a visible difference, and though they may differ in personal beliefs from mine, I have no doubt they are living out their faith in the manner that is best to them, and they put me to shame in their earnest and eager desire to preserve the earth and its inhabitants from the all types of harm.

The highlight of my experience my seem small, but it was that I could see the paps of Jura from Iona.  It has long been etched in my family history that we descended from Jura and although it is so American to say I'm from there, I visited with my mom and dad when they visited, and it's something of legend amongst our family.  So seeing it brought them all a bit closer and made me feel like I was possibly sharing part of this experience with them.

All in all a wide experience and I'm very grateful. How were your weeks and weekends? Hope they were as fab as fabs. Happy Monday!

No comments: