Friday, July 27, 2012

Fly, The Guardian Dog

Fly


Today, we're off to Cornwall for ten days.  It sounds like we're on perpetual holiday, but really, as most of our jobs right now can be done from anywhere, we'll be toiling away just as much, just in new settings.

We'll be taking Fly with us, Fran's brown Labrador.  All of the Goodison pets have been named after insects.  [I've adopted this tradition and named mine so far after ships: Indy and Felix.] Fly is ten and has a grey muzzle and reminds me of our first black lab, Amelia. I like Fly because he loves to go on walks as much as I do.  Sometimes he'll go on runs with me, but only if he feels like it. The other day, I tried to get Fly to go on a walk with me, while Fran had stayed to sit on a bench.  Once we rounded the bend and Fly didn't see Fran, he just stopped and stared at the bend, expecting Fran to come round. He refused to go any further until I took him back to Fran. Not even food could sway him.

Fly is bear. He's big boned and has the appetite of a t-rex. He seems to be perpetually on a diet.  But he is master at one thing: stealing food. He'll get the bread from the bread bin. He'll even get the lamb in the Sunday roast. He once opened a cupboard and ate Fran's Melba toast.

The other hilarious quality Fly possesses is his possessiveness.  At least I think that's what it is.  Anytime Fran so much places a hand on me in the same vicinity as Fly, he let's out a howl and squirms his way in between the two of us. It will start off with a low woof. Then, once more, more gruff.  Two, then three, until he's positively clamoring for attention. It's not only me, though. Even his mother can't hug Fran without Fly squirming. Needless to say, my father is a great fan of this dog. 

I think Fly likes the bunnies too, or just wants to play with them as he play bows when they're flopping about the run. Sadly, the bunnies will be staying behind and I'll miss them.

-------

Some of you have been asking about Fran's job.  He applied for a position with Blue Tutors, a nationwide company that provides private tutoring lessons for school children. It's a client by client basis, and I'm not sure how permanent it is, but it's definitely something in the right direction. They've even asked him to star in their teaching videos, so he's off to Bath in the coming weeks. On the road to stardom? Let's hope!

No comments: