Monday, April 2, 2012

On Babies: Revised



In our Senior year of college, friends started getting engaged, and I remember the shock of it all: it wasn't happening to "other people." It was happening to my friends. I had reached that stage of life, and it felt surreal. Now its not just engagements, but babies. My church here is a baby making machine. I don't think we've had any fewer than 3 women pregnant at the same time in less than 2 years.

Still, when my good friends, the Inces became pregnant, this was something much closer to home. The Ince's are like family. Like, older cool cousins who have it all together, who you want to be when you're their age. I babysit for Seth all the time (cutest toddler ever. It's slightly depressing to know if I ever have kids they will never beat that) and the Ince's have me over for meals, like, every fortnight. (REAL Mexican, guys). So I've gotten to see Robin throughout her entire pregnancy.

Robin was a fit, pregnant woman. Better shape than me. Who would have thought this woman
was this pregnant? Ah know. Not me.

(Note the wedding-cake shaped diaper diorama in the background. Some women know how to throw baby showers!)

And now, ever so happily, Avery Kaitlyn Ince is here.


Babies still scare me. It's not that I don't like them. That's not true. It's more of a holy, reverent fear. All these hopes and fears and prayers and dreams wrapped up in a person, a being who is just so small and so alive. Perhaps its their size, that everything is perfect, exactly perfect, just smaller proportioned. I'm not even sure I can put it into words. But it pretty much leaves me speechless everytime.

17 days old today

No comments: