Saturday, April 21, 2012

Coping with Hedgehogs

Darwin: From Edinburgh Hedgehogs

This upcoming move to Durham is scaring me senseless.  I have nightmares about at night, and its a nebulous gremlin lurking in the recesses of my thoughts in the day.  I know Durham will be all sorts of wonderful and fulfill desires I didn't even know I had: I know that. But it's the leaving Edinburgh that causes me to be infinitely sad.

Odd as it may sound, I am determined to live by myself.  But the thought of going into a dark apartment all by myself gives me the creepsies. So pets are the natural answer. I am so glad I have bunnies.  But even the bunnies don't have that positive, o're powering gleam to dispel this bleakness I feel. I want something to look forward to. In my spare time, I've found myself trolling through gumtree looking at pets, like some sort of sick kryptonite. And do you know what? I'm going to get a hedgehog once I move.

I could justify it by saying I've wanted one for years, that I've read all sorts of things on how to take care of them, that it will be a good thing to look forward to. But it simply comes down to the realization that I am just going to be one of those crazy ladies with loads of pets: like some kind of reinvention of Beatrix Potter.  I was despairing to Gillian how I wanted a hedgehog and it was taking all of my self-control not to buy one immediately and I knew it was because I was stressed out because of my move and I felt like I was a bit crazy, and Gillian, ever wise, blinked at me, and then said: "People cope with loss in all sorts of ways: drugs, alcohol, abuse, sex. Why shouldn't you get a hedgehog if it keeps you from those?" Well, the thought of drinking myself senseless or hitting up contacts for some stash had never once crossed my mind: but the worrying thing is those seem alot more normal than buying a hedgehog.

How ADORABLE are they? What if I became a hedgehog breeder? Pretty lucrative for petty cash. There's not many in the Northern part of the UK. Here are some of my favorite UK sites so far:

No comments: