Friday, April 27, 2012

Henry V

Henry V Stage
 
There are disadvantages for an American living in Britain.  All the numerous theatre productions and opportunities to see Shakespeare performed is not one of them.  For my birthday (way back in November), Fran bought me tickets to see one of my favorites, Henry V. Wednesday we took an evening trip to Newcastle to see it.

We both lamented the timing as I have my nine-month review and he has exams, but one's ability to plan six months in advance is always limited. However, we enjoyed the show immensely.  The company was an all-male cast, and they sang for every scene change and act conclusion, and their strength as a performing unity was unbelievable. It's not every day you get to see one of your literary crushes come to life.  

During intermission, instead of going backstage to take a well-deserved break, they performed for us in the halls singing songs for charity, and I captured just a few moments on my phone. Its a really shaky video, so if you're the least bit queasy, close your eyes and just listen.  Their harmony rivalled one of UNC's acapella groups-- and that's nigh on heresy! Overall a lovely show, a military show, with an extremely talented troupe.

For more information on the performance, see here: http://www.theatreroyal.co.uk/whats-on/henry-v


In our seats



1 comment:

JAM said...

I envy your social life. I will just live my life vicariously through you ; )