Thursday, September 29, 2011

It begins

I've been sick with an ugly cold this week which has rendered me useless to enjoy the Edinburgh heatwave of blue skies and warm winds. Summer has struck now instead of in July. I head off to Durham tomorrow for the first of a series of Inductions. I'm nervous, but who wouldn't be with a low-grade temp and a nose full of mucus?

This morning I couldn't breathe through my nose. My options were the netti pot or a bowl of steaming water. I weighed my options. The bowl of steaming water meant going down to the kitchen and there may be mice. The netti pot would require assembly and it might not even make it all the way through my nasal passage. I had visions of my choking and drowning and coughing and spluttering. Steam seemed less painful, so I pulled on my wellies and went downstairs to brave the mice.

Fortunately there were none and I sat for an hour with my head over a bowl of steam (I must looked ridiculous). The funny thing is, it worked, and not only that, but made my face feel wonderfully porous and oil-free. I recommend it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry that you're sick. I hope you feel better soon.