Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Parenting Issues

Indy as an 8 week old.


Anyone to look at our bunny Indy would think that she was beautiful, curious, and generall a cuddly rabbit. From much of the time we've had her it seems to have been this way. But within the past several weeks, Indy has started grunting at us, not wanting to be touched, especially picked up, not even stroked, and running away to the opposite side of the room from us. What does one do with a recalcitrant bunny?

Immediately, the first thought was to give her away or to set her free in Fran's garden at home, as they have an abundance, if not a nuissance, of rabbits. But somehow, I viewed this stupid rabbit as God's grace to me, and giving up on the rabbit almost seemed like a spiritual symbol. (Life gets more complicated when a cigar is no longer just a cigar). So through copious amounts of research, I adopted a new plan of action.

I'd let Indy approach me, I'd coo and speak gently, but would only touch her when she came real close. I'd stroke her after a treat or when she lay down in her relaxed sprawl. This didn't immediately show its effects straight away. I've found I have to spend an hour with her a day, just sitting by her cage, letting her get used to me, and if I was lucky, would get to stroke her a few times.

What I've learned: patience and persistance. I need to spend time with this pet each day. Not 'I'll read a book and you can run around while I keep half an eye on you' time, but 'I'll sit here patiently and give you my undivided attention' time. That she first responds to curiousity first, anger second, and food third. That she is not a stupid bunny, unfortunately, but rather like her name, Indefatigable.

1 comment:

Abby said...

What a sweet bunny. I commend you for your patience! Sounds like it's paying off. (And I'm glad you didn't release her into the woods.)