Sunday, July 17, 2011

Bad on Books

I have a bad habit of buying books that I think either look nice, or I think I ought to read them. In my library back home, the number is stupidly ridiculous and the idea of conquering them sends my knees weak. Since my move to Edinburgh, I have acquired an a small pile of books I have either borrowed or now own and am determined to read them before the year is out. I can count now at least 15 books: 15 collected in a space of less than 10 months! Pathetic. Been slowly making headway.

Sometimes I find the list of things I have to do crippling as it seems like so much. In the last month, I've found reading a book not at all to do with my dissertation helpful. It eases the cogs strung tight thinking about Medieval French Literature, and motivates me to keep working. I've found that when I finish a book, I'll momentarily pat myself on the back, but then think, alright, what next? Somehow this desire helps to tackle my dissertation.

No comments: