Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Globe Theater


This is in the standing area of the globe, me clutching an edition of hamlet.

Here are Dr. Simon, Professor Karen, and the ever-photogenic Fran.



Yesterday the Goodisons took Francis and myself to the Globe Theatre to see a production of Hamlet- which was one of the single best experiences of my life. [The other that ranks was when the Avett Brothers performed at UNC.] I think every theater should be shaped like the Globe. It was three stories of seated sections shaped in a semi-circle that surround the stage that jutts out of the back wall. In addition to the risers, there is also an enormous standing section where people are on just about chin level with the stage. Its also outdoors-- with an open roof-- which allowed a gentle breeze to constantly lick our faces and even twittering birds to land on the thatched roof. With so many people, especially the standing audience the atmostphere is one of energy which the actors thrive off.

The troop was amazing opening and ending the show with songs and dance which they played themselves on a violin, mandolin and guitar, all singing and dancing. The dialogue moved rather quickly which kept our attention and it was astonishingly easy to follow the plot and charachters. Hamlet himself was superb, providing a funny and lively performance and never failed to hold our attention. Rosencrantz and Gildenstern were funny, and the cast managed to bring new life to a very popular drama. As far as criticism, I found they had cut a bit of dialogue (though understandably) but in a rather important section in the "repentance" of King Claudius, which is a pivotal moment of the play. Also, the woman who played Ophelia was dynamic and loud, and I am of the opinion that the actress should approach her charachter with a sensitivity that this one failed to show. However, it was such an elating performance that I couldn't stop smiling the entire time and am so thankful for the privilege to have attended.

3 comments:

Abby said...

So exciting, Natalie! I'm jealous. In nearby Staunton, Virginia, they have a tiny replica of the Globe Theater. We went there recently to watch "The Importance of Being Earnest" and it was not very good. But the replica theater itself was beautiful.

Unknown said...

That is wonderful my dear. I will have to join you for another in Britain again soon. I have always wanted to see the Globe Theatre. Love you lots. :)

Unknown said...

P.S. I intend on buying some green ink and sending you a letter. I just have been enjoying summer so much and I found myself in a dreamy sort of I-don't-want-to-do-anything limbo and because of that I have not written you a letter.