Sunday, June 30, 2013

Harlech Castle

On Sunday we woke, packed out things, and drove through Snowdonia.  I can't remember seeing such forest before in Britain. Neither England nor Scotland seemed to have as many woodlands as Wales did.  We drove to meet my cousin Julie and her husband Hwyel in Harlech Castle. 
we drove through slate country.


Harlech is one of Edward III's castles

On top of the highest tower

my only photo of Hywel!

Hywel said, I've found Fran. Basking like a cat.

I love that it's in ruins. Much more fun to explore.

We could climb onto the walls.

On the walls there were birds.  Guess who was shat on?


what a view



Me and Julie

Here is where the moat used to be. A real moat!


Julie was so sweet. She chose Harlech because at one point in time she found a restaurant that had served her sweet tea there! Unfortunately the restaurant had now closed, but the possibility that sweet tea could exist in Great Britain was just lovely!

Harlech was a great castle. Castles in ruin are loads more fun than the ones people live in. You can play hide and seek, tour the tops of towers, sentry the walls, and feel the wind and the sun.  It felt more real somehow and more medieval.

We ate lunch at a great little diner (lamb burgers!) and said goodbye.  As they left, Julie and Hywel told me the lovely news that they were planning to come to my wedding.  I was so overcome that people should travel such a distance. I couldn't quite believe it.  We drove back to Durham, fixed a pasta bake, and watched Jurassic Park. What a great day.

No comments: