Friday, September 21, 2012

Friday Thoughts

near Port Quinn


"Yes-love," he thought again quite clearly.  "But not love which loves for something, for some quality, for some purpose, or for some reason, but the love which I--while dying-- first experienced when I saw my enemy and yet loved him.  I experienced that feeling of love which is the very essence of the soul and does not require an object.  Now again I feel that bliss.  To love one's neighbors, to love one's enemies, to love everything, to love God in all His manifestations.  It is possible to love someone dear to you with human love, but an enemy can only be loved by divine love."
- Tolstoy, War and Peace

-------
Okay so I promise that's the last I'll talk about Tolstoy. Promise. Other than I read the entire thing on my kindle.  I traveled so much I suppose it was worth it, but I like to highlight and underline and rant in the columns. I can highlight via kindle, but boy, can you never find the quote you're looking for.  This quote I put up? Not the one I wanted. So we're friends, now, I guess. Me and kindle.  Now I'm onto to Middlemarch.  I've heard it's brilliant.

So yesterday, I went to the library and pulled out a dozen books, all on the Holy Grail. Me being me, I got super-excited and began reading portions of books and greedily taking notes.  After several hours, something didn't seem right. And then my brain just stopped. Like a back-logged drain, I couldn't take in anymore of anything. I'm not even sure how I made it home. I couldn't even walk up the stairs. I had to crawl. I could barely pull myself into a bath. That verse, "Much study wearies the body"-- well, it's true.

Tonight. Tonight is a dinner party simply because the Goodisons are glamorous. Tomorrow we're all off to the Globe to see Twelfth Night.  And now for the super-exciting news. I pack my bags for Durham on Sunday and Monday I move. Whoop and a holler! I have a house, a house, with a bedroom that has my name on it. What is happiness? A room of one's own.



No comments: