Sunday, September 30, 2012

Hit the Ground Running


London: September 22, 2012









 Durham, England:

Friendly place, Durham.

Glorious afternoon

The perfect card

One's dreams on one's sheets


glimpse from my desk



sunset  

--------
1. I traveled up with one suitcase. I'm eagerly looking forward to getting some of my things when Fran comes up (Tuesday!) and even more excited to get stuff out of storage in Edinburgh.  I am learning to be content in being unsettled.

2. Teacher Training Day was last week.   The general aura in the air was intimidation.  But I just felt ready. I've been waiting so long to get to do what I love, and now it's here. I am unbelievable eager to begin.

3. This will be a full week.  I will give one paper twice this week, and oh I am nervous. I will see my advisor, I will attend more training, I will help Fran move in, I will go to Newcastle and speak, and I will go up to Edinburgh on Friday.

4.  On Saturday I will go to Iona Abbey for a week. It is ill-timed, but I am looking forward to an experience on an isolated island in the Hebrides which was one of the leading centers of manuscript production in the Middle Ages by Benedictine monks.  Each day, I will chop carrots, clean floors, attend services, and go on walks with people I have never before met. You can pray for me to be brave.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I want to come to Iona Abbey. If you have a good time, could we go again?

NJM said...

Of course!