Friday, December 14, 2012

Pets and Vets


Felix amidst the greenery

It's been a rather quiet week, or at least it seems more that way.  We've had final Christmas parties, Christmas balls, the arrival of Christmas cards, Christmas (and Dundee) cake, and of course, Christmas shopping. It has been below freezing here every day, and I am thankful for the marshmallow coat I purchased in order to go to Iceland. I look ridiculous, but love the warmth.  Indy and Felix have been to the vet for their first vaccinations.  Guess what? Indy is slightly overweight! And I (apparently) have been feeding them wrong. I've been feeding them muesli which they love, but the vet recommends pellets and hay and leafy greens.  In Edinburgh, I had neighbors who would peer over the wall and leave me their winter green extras: carrot tops, broccoli stems and leaves, extra bits of kale. Stupidly, I hadn't thought to supply that myself once we moved, so yet another New Year's Resolution is to feed the bunnies well.  The vet I went to was phenomenal! They were so so good.  She told me I could train the bunnies if I weaned them onto pellets, so will try that as well. Fingers crossed for affectionate lapidorae in the year to come. 

Everyone in Durhams seems to own a Border Terrier or a Jack Russel.  Saw about 12 of them in the vet's office.  But I also saw a dream. While in the vet, I saw a sheltie, a rather older one with a graying muzzle, and I feel in love.  I've been looking for a smaller to medium sized dog that I can dream of owning one day, and when I saw that sheltie, it was simply, yes.  I just love the blue merle coat and blue eyes, the ruggedness, the active nature, and the smaller size.  I don't know if I will be able to own a dog, or even a sheltie, in the coming year, but it is a dream, and what is life without those. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You sound like James Herriot.

Bela said...

Wonderful stuff.