Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A trip to London

On the longest day of the year, I caught the 5.38 am train down to London to see my Aunt Jayne and my cousin Emily.  It was so surreal and wonderful to see them.  They were on a girl scout tour trip around Europe and their schedule looked fabulous.  They had one morning in London and I met them up before they were to take the Euro Star to Paris. You have one morning in London so what do you do?

Go to the science museum of course!

We went on the 3-D Red Arrows simulator ride.

We then went to King's Cross for some AMAZING mexican.

We wandered around St. Pancras' shops


St Pancras International
We then had just under an hour a mad thought, I dragged them to the British Library, gave them a quick tour of the rare book collection, showing them Beowulf (now on display!), some Jane Austen Manuscripts, some medieval music, and of course, my illuminated manuscripts.  We met up with the rest of the girl scouts. I was promptly told that I had an 'accent' now that I had lived here and looked exactly like my Aunt Jayne. 


Seeing them off at St Pancras!

 I went with them as far as I could, and said goodbye as they entered security.  It was so wonderful to see my family in the UK! I'm starved or not seeing family enough and I loved just looking over my shoulder and thinking, I'm named after her! We look alike! My hair will probably not turn brown, but look just like hers.  We of course talked weddings and boys and what they'd seen.  Hearing all about what they'd done and see made me want to go gallivanting across Europe again. The old desire to go had been awoken.

After I said goodbye, I wandered over to King's Cross and took my train home.

No comments: