Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Kindle Thoughts, Revisited


This past week, I've tried to read everything on my kindle. Sometimes through necessity. Sometimes through choice. Thoughts:

1. The designers of kindle were sensitive to people who loved books. The intentional 'white' pages and black ink, the ability to turn pages like a real book, demonstrate an awareness I had overlooked before.
2. It's nice having it 'all in one.' I don't have to lug several different books everywhere. It's convenient for traveling.
3. I'm not motivated as hard to finish reading something because I can't see the book's full length. I read what I want to, when I want to.  This could be good and bad.
4. Taking notes and highlighting is easier than expected. You have to give the kindle it's own time to do it, but it works well.
5. Finding pages is difficult and even finding specific notes or highlights. It takes me a while to refind my memorable passages.

I don't think it's fair on me to hate the kindle.  I don't cradle it to sleep at night, but I don't resent it. I still prefer books, probably always will, but am grateful for the things it provides, in the way it does.

No comments: